We are now seeking an experienced Graduate Civil Design Engineer looking to progress their career as part of our growing and vibrant team, working on exciting highway projects. The team offers excellent opportunities for the right candidate to gain experience in lead design, project and financial management, along with client liaison.
To help us to achieve our ambition, we are seeking a motivated individual wanting to take the next step in their career. The candidate will form part of an existing team already delivering a varied programme of highway and transportation schemes for a wide range of public and private sector clients, across both the local and strategic highway networks.
You can expect to work on development infrastructure projects from feasibility through to detailed design, including road design, drainage design, utility strategies, flood risk assessments and associated statutory authority approvals. You will assist Senior Engineers in the preparation of technical outputs such as preparation of plans, specifications and estimates for projects of various sizes and complexity alongside coordination with other disciplines and represent the business internally and externally.
- Working as a key member of a design team in preparation of highway designs using local regulations: horizontal and vertical alignment, intersection layout and sight distance determination, interchange layout, roadway drainage, and right-of-way plans.
- Supporting the delivery of technical outputs with senior team members;
- Developing highway designs in accordance with Local Design Guides, MFS and DMRB and using AutoCAD and Civils 3D.
- Production of technical reports as required.
- Supporting the lead designer on bigger projects and leading technical role on minor projects.
- Client liaison as necessary to deliver the schemes/projects.
- Accountability for checking own designs and documents, approvals.
- Produce technical design information including drawings and specifications.
- Identify and manage project risks.
- Deliver specified project outcomes on time, within budget, and to the quality required.
- Assist in the preparation of contract documents and technical reports.
- Assist in the preparation of resource plans, delivery programs, and fee proposals.
- Undertake Health and Safety duties including ensuring a safe and healthy working environment for the design team and fulfilling responsibilities for safety in design.
- Undertake business development activities and secure opportunities with new and existing clients where required.
- Ensure quality control.
- Reporting to the Senior Engineer or Infrastructure Team Leader.
Skills and Attributes:
- Experience: 1-2 years’ experience in Highway design including Section 278 and Section 38 processes would be desirable.
- Experience using AutoCAD required.
- Exposure/knowledge of national, regional, and local rules and regulations on highway design.
- Civils 3D software package experience would be desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients in and out of work.
- Adaptable, self-motivated, enthusiastic and hard working.
- Desire to self-progress.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- BEng, MEng, BSc or higher degree in Civil Engineering.
- Keenness to work towards Incorporated or Chartered status and membership of a relevant professional institution (ICE/CIHT).
- Competency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint.
What we can offer
- Exposure and development of skills through opportunities to work on a wide range of projects including small and medium highways, residential, commercial, cycling, and public realm projects.
- CDM development.
- Opportunities and exposure to lead small projects in terms of design, budget control and project management.
- Opportunity to gain NEC3/4 experience.
- Mentoring to obtain Professional Qualifications (IEng/CEng).
- Opportunity to supervise more junior colleagues.
- Support/Development and Training of Technical, Communication and Commercial skills.
- Opportunities to assist in Business Development.
- Exciting working culture with direct exposure with Directors, giving the opportunity to learn and develop.
This is a great opportunity to join a consultancy that will offer you the support and training needed to help the rest of the team on all design aspects of development and highways infrastructure projects. You will also have the opportunity to liaise with clients on a day-to-day basis.
The role will suit a self-motivated individual who is aspiring to develop their career and work in an exciting growing consultancy that is ‘Engineering a sustainable Future’.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Markides Associates are an equal opportunities employer and signatories of the Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation’s (CIHT) Diversity and Inclusion Charter.