We are now seeking a Senior or Principal Engineer with experience in the Highways Sector to be part of our growing and vibrant team working on exciting highway projects. The team offers excellent opportunities for the right candidate.
To help us to achieve our ambition, we are seeking an individual who has a sound technical background and shares our enthusiasm and determination to deliver successful projects. The candidate will form part of an existing team already delivering a varied programme of highway and transportation schemes for a wide range of public and private sector clients across both the local and strategic highway networks.
As a Development Infrastructure Engineer, you can expect to work on development infrastructure projects from feasibility through to detailed design including road design, drainage design, utility strategies, flood risk assessments and associated statutory authority approvals. You will prepare technical outputs, coordinate with other disciplines and represent the business internally and externally.
You will develop and deliver projects through various stages of design from feasibility to planning/detailed design and onto construction. You will also be required to support the leadership of team, projects, clients and business performance. A typical week will be required to manage programmes of work and prepare designs and specifications.
- Leading the delivery of technical outputs within the team;
- Developing highway designs in accordance with the Local Design Guides, MFS and DMRB and using AutoCAD and Civils 3D.
- Production of technical reports as required
- Taking a leading technical role on projects
- Client liaison as necessary to deliver the schemes/projects
- Accountability for checking, certifying and authorising for issue designs, documents, approvals, and reports.
- Technical input to the agreement and pricing of project briefs, proposals and deliverables with Project Managers.
- Produce technical design information including, drawings and specifications
- Demonstrate a broad technical understanding across a range of highways disciplines including drainage, geotechnics, pavements and structures, and the ability to seek specialist advice when required
- Provide technical input and leadership, ensuring compliance with all relevant technical standards
- Identify and manage project risks
- Deliver specified project outcomes on time, within budget and to the quality required
- Assist in the management workload, technical management, mentoring and oversight of junior staff
- Write and oversee the preparation of contract documents and technical reports
- Prepare resource plans, delivery programs, and fee proposals
- Undertake Health and Safety duties including ensuring a safe and healthy working environment for the design team and fulfilling responsibilities for safety in design
- Undertake business development activities and secure opportunities with new and existing clients.
- Ensure quality control
Skills and Attributes:
- Knowledge and experience of S278, S38 and S104 schemes including detailed highway & drainage design;
- Significant experience of highway technical design on major projects including a good understanding of design principles and the ability to practically apply them, knowledge of standard engineering practices and a demonstrable understanding of Health and Safety including CDM
- Show technical leadership and through experience mentor and guide the skills of others in computer based applications and tasks including use of software such as Civils3D, WinDES, and the Microsoft Office Suite of programmes including MS Project.
- Demonstrable experienced Highway Engineer in local authority and/or private sector
- Wide range of skills and projects including highways, cycling and public realm
- Ability to determine appropriate solution with innovation and value
- Knowledge of and engagement with the civil engineering industry
- NEC3/4 experience
- Good communication skills including the preparation of technical reports
- Experience of managing junior colleagues
- Experience or a willingness to mentor and supervise more junior colleagues;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of project stakeholders
- Proven ability at a senior level
- Excellent written skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients in and out of work
- Adaptable, self-motivated, enthusiastic and hard working
- Desire to self-progress
- BSc, BEng, or higher degree in Civil Engineering
- Working towards or have gained Incorporated or Chartered status and membership of a relevant professional institution (MICE)
You will be capable of working to tight project time scales, work comfortably under pressure and have an open and honest approach. Evidence of good communication and teamwork skills will be sought. Ideally you will have experience in the preparation of highway design for major and minor infrastructure projects from conception, S278/38 approval through to construction. Experience of managing a team of Engineers, Technicians and Graduates would be advantageous. Specific attributes qualification or equivalent Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status of an appropriate institution or demonstrable experience. Proven experience in the technical and commercial management of highway projects, the ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team and the confidence to seek clarification of instructions and work scope.
Reporting to the Infrastructure Team Leader, you will play an important role within the team including overseeing junior team members working to support with the delivery of projects. We will provide the opportunity for the you to work closely with private and public sector clients of all types and across all sectors locally and regionally.
The role will suit a self-motivated individual who is aspiring to take a lead role in project delivery and manage dynamic teams delivering high-quality projects. This is an exciting opportunity to progress in a consultancy that is ‘Engineering a sustainable the Future’.
Please send your CV to email@example.com
Markides Associates are an equal opportunities employer and signatories of the Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation’s (CIHT) Diversity and Inclusion Charter.